A little over a year ago, our world was flipped upside down. Businesses were forced to close, “mask up” signs became a regular sighting, and video calls became all the rage. While some benefits may have come about – expanded WFH opportunities, more time with loved ones, and pets – for many it’s become fatiguing.
Whether you’re someone craving a clear divide between work, and home life; realizing that both you, and your cat need a little time apart; tired of spending all of your free time at home; or anyone else who’s looking to mix things up a bit, here’s a hot tip: try geocaching.
Seven easy ways to beat pandemic fatigue, and earn a smiley along the way
- Hit the streets. Use the Geocaching® app, Geocaching.com, or an API partner mobile app to find a geocache within walking distance. Here’s a suggestion, if you want to narrow down your options you can sort by difficulty, terrain or by attribute (including a wheelchair accessible attribute) to help you decide on a geocache.
- Fun run. Already found all of the geocaches within walking distance? Need to squeeze a workout in? Here’s a solution for both of your dilemmas – identify a geocache you can run to. Bonus points if you pick something further away than you’d typically run. The runners high, alongside the freshly awarded smiley will leave you feeling accomplished, unlike your overflowing inbox.
- Cycle-ops. Tired of haunting the same few blocks around your house? Have a bike, and will ride? Why don’t you pick a direction, and peddle to uncharted territory? Plan for ⅔ of your available time for the ride, and ⅓ for finding the geocache. Who knows what you’ll discover along the way.
- Order up. Sick of your own cooking? Eyeing up a restaurant’s takeout menu? Next time you decide to order out, pick a restaurant with a geocache nearby. You can grab it on your way, or while you wait for your order to be ready. Don’t sweat it if you come up empty handed, you still got to eat some delicious food, breathe in some fresh air, and help out the geocaching community by logging a DNF. Sounds like a triple win.
- Someone say Adventure? Like the idea of getting outside, and exploring, but not the thought of touching anything? Why don’t you try out an Adventure Lab®? There are currently over 20,000 public Adventures available worldwide. The Geocaching Adventure Lab® app will guide you through the process of finding clues, solving puzzles, and completing Adventures one Location at a time. If you’re already a Geocaching member, each stage will earn you a smiley.
- Outsmart the weather. Is Mother Nature throwing shade your way? Or are you perhaps feeling under the weather? Take some time to create a cozy space for yourself, perhaps brew some tea, and hunker down to solve that puzzle cache that has been on your to-do list for what seems like forever.
- Go streaking. Maintaining a streak is a surefire way to get yourself outside everyday. It gives you a clear goal to work toward, and helps to hold you accountable. It’s also a great way to decompress between work, and your home life, especially if you’re someone who works from home. Plus, Premium members can see their geocaching streaks right from the Geocaching® app!
There’s so many different ways to play, and therefore so many different ways to shake up your day. What way will you choose?